Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Thursday, June 3, 2010

My Encounters in the Yard

Today I mowed the paths in our "meadow in the making". After mowing, I walked the paths as I so often do. Among the invasives that I'm trying to control (and eradicate), I spotted some asters that came up on their own. I went to pinch them back so they'd be bushier and shorter and won't fall over into the path.

I spotted a leaf hopper on the newest leaf. As I went to pinch them off, I noticed a lot more on the underside of the leaves. I thought about posting that I'm already attracting a myriad of insects, when I heard something, looked up, and saw a doe that had just run up the hill to where I was standing.

She must have been no more than 15 feet from me. She stopped, perhaps catching my scent, but didn't yet see me. In a moment or two she finally spotted me, we looked at each other for another moment until she did an about face and ran back down the hill.

While I was watching her, I'd thought about slowly reaching into my pocket for my cell phone so I could try to get a picture. I'm glad that I didn't because I would have just scared her off sooner and still ended up empty handed.

I was heading in to post when I decided to go back and take pictures of the paths and leaf hoppers so that I could at least include a picture or two. Too bad I have no picture of the doe, but I have the memory and the thrill from the encounter.


Some of the paths.


Aster with leaf hopper.


Where I saw the doe.

No comments: