Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Spring is Coming

Our first year here, I fed the birds all winter and left the feeder up into the summer.  Once or twice, I found the feeder on the ground.  I assumed it was deer.  Later, one of our cats (we have two) excitedly ran from one window to another window in another room.  I followed knowing something was up.  I was a little suprised but hardly shocked to see a bear at the feeder.  I got my partner and we watched from the safety of the house.  Bekka watched out the window too.  She surprised me; I would've thought she'd be afraid, but she seemed fascinated. 

I got my camera phone out and took a couple of pictures through the window.  As the bear wandered off, my partner pointed out that one of its front paws was injured.  I felt bad, but was glad it found a quick, easy snack.  After that, I stopped feeding during the spring and summer.

Spring is coming.  I'll keep feeding for a bit longer, but will have to stop before too long.



No comments: