Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Monday, April 11, 2011

Pulling Them Out by the Roots

It was 80 degrees on this April day. After getting home from work, I changed into shorts and got out in the yard. As usually happens, I walk the property and jump from one task to another--whatever strikes me at the moment.

One thing was to continue what I started a couple of weeks ago: instead of just sawing the Japanese honeysuckles off at the ground with hopes of taking a pick to the roots at some later point, I've found that I can often pull them out by hand! The soil is loose, but possibly even more so after freezing and thawing so much lately. I've pulled many medium-sized bushes out this way--it makes me feel good and saves me from going back for the pick!

Often I leave them in place with their roots exposed--I figure they provide places for birds to perch. Others are added to my newest brush pile.



No comments: