Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Sunday, November 6, 2011

While Weeding

I finally got around to cutting down the mugwort--well, some of it anyway--today. Almost two months ago, I started the process, but too many other things were going on...and if we weren't gone for the weekend, it would be raining. So, with a beautiful, sunny November day with highs around 60, I finally got motivated, grabbed the sickle, and started attacking the drying stands of mugwort. I can't believe I let it go to seed, but I hope to either burn the seed heads or cover them with a thick layer of wood chips and hope they rot.



(There is not a huge difference, since I left the goldenrod seed heads for the birds, but if you notice the nestbox is exposed in the second picture.)




Anyway, after I wore myself out, I was walking the trails to take more pictures, when I spotted one tiny, green mugwort plant. I reached for it, and in doing so revealed a slow moving, but very much alive praying mantis. Luckily I had the camera in hand to get this shot of him (or her).

No comments: