Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Another Moving Rocks Post



 With all of the rain we've had--I swear it has been four months with only an occasional day with part sun...and, more recently one full day of sun...and, twice, two days in a row without rain (or only in the morning or overnight).  So, with that, and working my regular job, an interpreting assignment twice a week, and Jeff and I teaching a class one day a week, there has not been much time for me to do much of anything outside.  :(

So, I was so happy that the weather cooperated, today, on my only day off during the week...and thrilled that I pushed myself to change into work clothes and go outside.

I finally got around to hauling some more of the rocks that I got over the summer.  My goal is to create some natural-looking rock outcroppings along the slope that leads to my pond & streambed project.  I'm hoping I can create a cliff-like look.

Nothing is set in stone yet. ;) ...but I got a chance to play around with some possible groupings.  It needs a lot, lot, lot more work to make it look right...but it felt great to get out and WORK! 



I plan to put down some rubber roofing under the rocks, create cliff-like outcroppings, and a sandy soil over the rubber roofing, and add scree around the rocks.  Here's hoping that I can make it look natural...and create a nice-looking spot for a streambed and waterfall(s).




I stayed out until dusk became rather dark.  I've missed being out there...and I'm hoping to get in better shape again.  Here's hoping I can do more before the ground freezes here.  Then, once winter hits, I hope I enjoy the reprieve.

2 comments:

Steve Willson said...

Hi, David. It sounds like your weather has been much like we've had here. I didn't nearly get as much work done this year as I had planned.

When I built my water garden, I just set the rock around with plans to move it into permanent locations later. By the time I began to move the rock, I found that salamanders, snakes and lizards had already taken up residence. I ended up leaving the where it was originally placed. I didn't have the heart to displace those animals.

Good luck on your project.

David said...

Steve,

Thank you so much for your comment.

I feel the same way; last year, I accomplished so much, but not this year. I had such high Hope's. At least, I did get the pond dug...even if I have not yet disguised the liner.

I hear you about not having the heart to displace animals. Even when moving rocks found on my property,if I find ants living underneath them, I either put them back or replace them with other rocks that are not as attractive, but still funtional--I use the attractive rocks in my landscape project. Other times, I will move them late winter, early spring when I find nothing underneath.

Early on, I learned to pile rocks (for later use) on a tarp so that it doesnt make contact with the ground--this seems to have kept things from living under them.

Also, I keep in mind that once I establish my pond and streambed,these rocks and the crevices they create, will become permanent homes for the critters that they attract.

You bring up a great point about my temporary attempts at creating rock outcroppings. I am hoping to have enough time before the ground freezes to make them more permanent. If not now, then early spring before things come to life and start to take up residence.

I'd better get a tarp under if I don't get them in place soon.