Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Not Always Vigilant

Last Saturday, I was out in the yard with pick in hand. The ground is not frozen--not sure it was ever frozen yet this winter--so I decided I'd better dig up the multiflora rose bushes that have begun to crop up in the meadow. Although I'd noticed some of them and planned to be "ever vigilant" when it comes to spotting and removing invasives that have begun to sprout, I am a bit of a procrastinator and didn't get to all of them...and perhaps, I didn't see them all. Now, I have several that might be two years old or so...I was shocked to see that they had gone to seed--rose hips--but, I never noticed them flowering.

Winter makes them easier to spot...but, I normally have to wait until spring to rip them out. Not this winter...I removed quite a few, burned the rose hips so I don't end up with more seedlings, and added the thorny branches to one of the brush piles.




I can't believe the one still had green leaves:

3 comments:

Ellen Honeycutt said...

Well, looks like a good haul and now you will be more aware that they can set fruit when you are not looking ....

Julie Stone said...

Well done! We've been removing some rose too, they grow so fast, it's hard to keep up. We found one last year that was easily growing 20 feet up into a white pine. I never thought about burning the hips, that's a good idea!

David said...

Thanks, ladies. :)

I was out walking the yard today (I got home too late to do anything), and I noticed a few more that have to come out--luckily no rose hips this time.