Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Friday, January 30, 2015

It's a Start...

This past fall, it seems I spent more time collecting seeds (with the intention of direct sowing a section or two of the field and beginning the process of converting it into a meadow of native grasses and wildflowers) than doing much else on our property (although, I did accomplish some things).  I'm still hoping to direct sow some, but the areas don't seem as prepared as I'd hoped they would be--I'm hoping to remedy that early this spring...and sow then (hopefully having given the seeds exposure to freezing an thawing before then).

Still, my traditional method of winter sowing in plastic "shoe boxes" will be implemented as well.  I don't want to put all of my eggs in one basket...and, with a couple of new species that I'm trying this year, I'd like to get to know them from germination on--and guarantee that I know just what I have.  This year, I'm adding closed (or bottle gentian), Gentiana andrewsi, and blue vervain, Verbena hastata.  These two, especially, I want to plant in pots where I can monitor them and ensure they have a good start.

I have a LOT of seeds to go through this year, and I've been putting it off.  With February right around the corner, I can put it off no longer--having a snow day today, I have no excuse.


It's not pretty, but it will be when they are growing
together and blooming!
Bush clover is another new one for me...I guess I'd better 
get another pot ready.





Close-up of Gentiana andrewsii seeds.




These are the two that I planted so far:



It's a start.


2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Good luck! Our student environmental group didn't get around to winter sowing, but we will be planting the nursery bed at our pollinator habitat as soon as the ground thaws.

David said...

Thanks, Rebecca.

I spent a good portion of the day sorting through seeds, removing them in some cases, mixing some, and keeping some separate to be sowed in the next couple of days.

I'm really hoping that I can prepare the seeds properly and that I have enough to direct sow a fairly large section. I really wish I'd collected more grass seeds.

Good luck on your pollinator bed. ~smile~