Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Saturday, January 13, 2018

Goldfinches!

With mild weather at the end of 2017, I didn't start feeding the birds until November. By the time the weather had finally changed (and became brutally cold by the end of December), I was feeding regularly--mostly black oil sunflower seeds, but I also added a fruit and nut mix, some peanuts, and a nyjer seed sock.

Although, I saw bluejays, juncos, mourning doves, a white-throated sparrow or two, and a very occasional pair of cardinals, many other bird species were missing.  I hadn't seen any chickadees (normally the first to show up) since the fall...not a single tufted titmouse, no goldfinch, and until this past week, no downy woodpeckers.

This morning, brought a flock of goldfinches to our recently snow-covered ground. 

(We had 62 degrees yesterday...20 something today.)

...Oh, and I finally saw a nuthatch early this afternoon. :)

I enjoyed the new subject matter...with no further ado, I present the goldfinch:






















No comments: