Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Saturday, March 30, 2019

Not Bad Idea!

It is our first spring day near 70°F...I am loving it. :)

I got some work done out front, and then took a break and walked down our wooded slope.  I don't explore this part of the property as much as I should; it borders our only neighbor on four sides.

On my walk back up the slope, I came across a section that has a patch of the dreaded Japanese knotweed.   I battle it periodically, but have yet to eradicate it.  This section is at the edge of the mini-woodland (reclaimed farmland--mostly locust trees, with a few sugar maples, elms, and wild black cherry).   It is also fairly close to where I dug my pond (Phase II...dug, filled with water, but the liner is not yet disguised).

So, it suddenly occurs to me that I could dig a vernal pond there--put down a liner, and fill it back up with the woodsy soil and fallen "driftwood".  This would give me more incentive to dig up the Japanese knotweed and smother any remaining roots that I may miss.  At least, I hope it would.  This would do double duty:  provide habitat while eradicating a horribly invasive species.

I had to get this posted...not that I expect to forget it, but one never knows.  :)


(I posted this while sitting on a fallen log on our wooded slope...I am enjoying the chorus of spring birds--especially the red-winged blackbirds' song which is the only one I really recognize.  I also had a few other visitors...and hot a close-up of one. )

 I laid an old carpet down a couple of years ago; it has kept it smothered...it is covered in rocks I have saved up for my streambed project.




I must say, a vernal pool would look much better than what I have now.

No comments: