Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Saturday, June 26, 2010

Our Four Newest Members

We went to a local community festival today, and were surprised and thrilled to find a booth of native plants. I was happy to run into a woman there that I'd met my first year here. It was so nice to find someone with a similar interest who also ran a native plant sale. I think I've been recruited to help weed and help out at the native garden they have displayed for the public. I've often thought that I should join a local group of native gardeners, this is the first step.

Thanks to the sale, we now have four new foundlings...baby wild ginger (with only one true leaf each), obedient plant, great blue Lobelia (not a favorite, but it is a valuable addition...'though I was hoping it was cardinal flower), and a Monarda didyma--and I'm proud to say they are all in the ground and watered!

While searching for the botanical name of the wild ginger, I found another common name for it that I'd never heard: little brown jugs. Named for the flower, I'm sure.


Monarda didyma
Physostegia virginiana
Lobelia siphilitica
Asarum canadense

No comments: