Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Saturday, December 18, 2010

Protecting Our Hemlocks

I figured since I was out in the yard taking pictures of birds, walking the paths, and such, that I should roll some wire fence into cages to protect the hemlocks from deer and rabbits. I'm lucky that nothing has bothered them yet, so I got all five remaining hemlocks covered. (Actually, I have one or two more in a pot waiting to be planted.)

Now that I'm getting things done outside and actually posting again, I'll try to keep up with the blog better.

This is the hemlock I put in the first year here. It is now around as tall as I am...the fence cage is only about 4 ft tall, but it will at least keep most of the tree protected, and if it does get eaten, it should recover quickly.



No comments: