Monday, March 12, 2012
I worked more on the project I started yesterday...but, I have a bad habit of making more work for myself. Even though I'm not really finished, I set things up to see how they'd look. Most likely I may have to move the fence rails to finish things up.
While removing another of the young black walnut trees (I'm not sure this one will survive), I decided to move the fence posts closer together so that I could put the rails up on the posts. The posts were rather loose so I didn't take too much to pull them out of the ground, so I was able to move them closer. Eventually, I'll probably remove the fence--now that I know it is not a historical remnant of a homestead fence. (Last summer the neighbor told me about the previous owner installing it.) For now, I plan to move a native clematis to grow over it. Currently that clematis is growing over one of the blueberry bushes.
There are still more bittersweet roots that I will need to remove. Also, I'm leaving the (cut) vining branches for cover and perches for the birds. Once I know that I've eradicated the bittersweet, I'd like to plant a variety of field wildflowers (natives, of course).
Here is what it looks like so far: