Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Sunday, March 30, 2014

Late Arrival, Late Posting

With our unusually cold, snowy, and long winter, spring seems later than usual.  For whatever reason, this year I was not longing for spring, but enjoying the winter--maybe I just needed a break from yard work...or maybe I just accepted that I couldn't change the weather.  I know I am looking forward to the clean slate that winters always seem to bring to the yard.

Normally, come mid-February, I'm searching for signs of spring, scanning the wooded hillsides for that red haze that comes upon the maples as they awaken from their winter slumber.  Every year, I am on the lookout for the return of the red-wing blackbirds.  Despite not being in any rush this year, by mid-March, I was scanning the roadsides where I've seen them perch past springs.  This year, however, the first one I saw was in our own backyard! :)

The pictures aren't so great, but I finally got some shots of him a day or two after I first spotted him.

These were taken March 16, 2014:





2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I wish we had these guys in our neighborhood, but it's too urban.

David said...

Hopefully, you can enjoy spotting them on the side of the road if you go for a ride in the country.

I'm really hoping to transform our property enough to have appropriate nesting sites for these and many other species.