Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Saturday, May 31, 2014

Showing His Face

Since spotting their nest (--I'm still so thrilled that I did!), I've yet to see the male or female oriole.  However, while standing on the bank opposite it, I've heard a harsh, warning "clicking" sound which I've assumed is the male warning me to stay away from his nest--or warning the female that I'm around.  This morning, I went out to close the bluebird's nest box that I'd cleaned out yesterday and let dry...even though the tree where the nest is was in shade at the time, I decided to check it out--and heard the now familiar warning call.  This time, I was able to spot the male oriole in the tree checking out what I was doing a little too near his nest (but clearly out of reach from my perspective).

Here is the first shot of (hopefully) many more to come:


No comments: