Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Saturday, May 10, 2014

Welcome Visitors

The other day I spotted an indigo bunting coming to the black oil sunflower seed that I'd scattered in the grass.  He was back again today.  Although, I've seen one here a couple times in the past, this is still a bird I had only seen in books while growing up.  I'm always happy to see him.

Today, I spotted what I think is a brown thrasher--I've yet to get a good look at him...and an in focus photo!  This, I believe I did see on occasion coming to the bird feeder I put up in the home I grew up in.  I'm thrilled to see one here as well.

Hopefully these welcome visitors may find suitable habitat here to nest and raise families.

Neither is a great photo, but they'll have to do for now, until I possibly get a more attractive shot to better document the biodiversity of our yard.




2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Lucky you! The only time I've seen an indigo bunting is at the Wildwood Metropark in Toledo. Keep up the good work!

David said...

Thanks. I hope I had something to do with it...other than just putting out birdseed.

The changes I've made so far seem so minor--at least compared to what I have in mind. Here's hoping that with each improvement I make the habitat attracts and supports more species.