Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Sunday, January 24, 2016

At it Again

For years now, I've collected seeds of native plants from my yard...and the roadside.  I propagate them...and as the years go by, I seem to collect more and more--I do have 2 acres to fill. ~smile~

Early this fall, I was out collecting things and waiting for more to ripen.  After a while I slowed down...I think I collected a bit more last year than this.  Today, while walking the yard, I spotted some seedheads of one of my favorite goldenrods--early goldenrod (Solidago juncea--I had to look that up).  Up until now, I've not included the seeds of Solidago species in my seed mixes--they have occurred naturally on their own, and through natural succession, the goldenrods do eventually seem to take over.  I want to include them--for their beauty and their high wildlife value.  I just don't want to speed up the succession process.  I'm making an exception with S. juncea...it doesn't appear to be one of the goldenrod species that tends to make huge stands.

I collected the seeds of the 2 or 3 individuals that showed up a couple of year ago--they've not spread on their own...and, being a favorite, I want many more of them.

Before my walk was over, I'd collected a handful of the goldenrod seeds along with some frost aster, and a few other aster species.



I'll add this bouquet to my seed collection.  February is fast approaching--that has become my traditional winter sowing month. 

No comments: