Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Monday, February 29, 2016

Still Not Finished

Even with an extra day in February this year, I am still not finished with my winter sowing.  Over the past 2 weekends, I have sorted through my seeds, and I even sowed the wetland species that I collected last year.

I plan to direct sow a custom mix of native seeds (including those that I collected myself), but I will also want to plant some of several species as plugs to add as needed.

Today, I filled four trays full of pots (from those that I purchased last year--and probably I've yet to post about).  I had an open bag of Promix in the greenhouse, and I bought another one which is still unopened by our sliding glass door along with a potted tray of last years seed order.  I'm hoping that they will all still germinate.


 Well, it has been a strange winter...but we will still have some freezing and thawing as spring arrives, so I am hoping my seeds will germinate with no problems.  Honestly, I am not even sure if most (or any) of them even need cold, moist stratification.

I'm looking forward to spring...and making more progress on the native meadow I have envisioned here for years now.

No comments: