Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Smothering Again

Despite varied success (and failure), I am, again, attempting to smother more of the field in my attempt to convert it into a native grassland.  Over the years, I have come to realize that I need a lot more native grasses to cover this area, and only intersperse them with wildflowers.


My goal has always been to keep each section in various stages of succession.  After twelve years here (we moved at the end of October, so our anniversary is coming up soon), the field is now in a late stage of succession.   I am happy to have the various goldenrod species; they are very beneficial to a wide array of species.  However, I need to create more biodiversity.

I took some time, last weekend, to clear another section and put down newspapers (many thanks to my husband, Jeff, for saving them for me and bringing them home from work).  I covered these with brown filler paper from our Chewy deliveries, branches, and (weed free grass clippings).










When the time comes, I will either sow seed or plant the plugs I will winter sow later.

It's small, but it's a start.

No comments: