Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Saturday, October 5, 2019

Late Addition

As things are getting ready to go dormant, I ended up adding a water lily (our native Nymphaea odorata) to the pond.

I have wanted one for a long time, so, when I found that I could purchase one from a native plant nursery (Edge of the Woods, in Allentown)--I jumped at the chance.  Actually, my dentist offered me some water lilies from his sound--I have yet to get them from him...and not sure if he has the native one.  (I do hope to get some blue gills and black nose dace from him eventually.)

Despite the weather dropping from the unusual highs of 70s & 80s for the past week or two to a high of 52°F, I waded into the water (with old shoes on) and put the potted water lily in place.  Hopefully, it will survive the winter and thrive next years--it is supposed to be remarkably hardy.







With the addition of the larger pond...and (the future) wetland, I have really expanded the variety of native plants to grow on our property.   I am so excited by this.  :)

No comments: