Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Working and Reworking

Although, I've posted very little in regards to the pond and streambed project that I've been working on, I have made a good bit of progress.  Normally, I guess I'm too tired to post...but, today of all days, when I should not feel up to posting, I am.  After walking for an hour and a half this morning, I went out after lunch and spent almost seven hours unearthing mini-boulders an flipping, nudging, and dragging them into place--well, only one is actually in its permanent position (I think).  I've actually moved it several times already trying to get things right.

Last week, I'd spent a good bit of time creating a pleasant-looking arrangements of rocks for a spillway/waterfall.  Unfortunately, when I ran the hose to overflow the upper section, the water didn't fall as planned.  That will all need reworked too, but since today I was not in the frame of mind to work on the mechanics of it all, I gathered rocks and worked on creating an outcropping that will never have a stream cascading over it...so creativity and not mechanics was my focus today--just what I needed.

 This rock is much larger than it appears in the photos...and like an iceberg, most of it was under the surface. :)

 At least these are much closer to the pond than most rocks I've moved in the past three years.
 I placed a large log in the hole that was left.  After covering it with soil it should be a long while before it decays and the ground sinks.  I'll deal with that when it happens.
 I still feel as though I'm running out of rocks for this project...I keep finding ones I've stashed away, and there is still a pile I've yet to pull from...but, I'm still seeking out LARGE ones which I need to make it look natural.  I pulled this one out of the hillside...and I think I know exactly where it will go!
 Here it is at the bottom of a path I created earlier this year (and never documented in the blog).
After flipping it end over end up the path, I was able to employ my handy, home-made rock mover again and wheel it to join the others...and one step closer to its final placement.

  Getting closer.  I swear, before I began digging and moving all of these rocks into place for the past several weeks, I'd not have been able to move this one.  Maybe, in another couple of weeks, I'll be able to move that one I swore I'd never tackle again.
It really should've been a two man job, but, as I so often do, I push myself...and I made it...it is actually in place now (but not in the picture), but needs readjusting tomorrow...or when ever I find I have the energy and motivation again.

 This is my old pond from when we lived in an apartment.
 I was able to move the moss-and-plants-topped rocks into the new pond...

Not bad, if I do say so myself. :)  Just one thing to add...there was a frog using the "old pond", and, after taking out the plants and rocks, I kind of relocated him to what I think are much nicer digs.  That means I'm up to five frogs now.


Rebecca said...

I admire your energy! Looking forward to hearing about all the wildlife your pond attracts.

David said...

Thank you. When the urge hits, I go with it, because I never know when it will fizzle out. Yesterday, I went longer than I'd have guessed... taking enough breaks to keep myself from heat stroke--but I did get a heat rash (a first for me).

Being off for the summer, I'm glad I can walk every morning and do this muscle-building activity which also involves an expression of creativity, problem solving, and a benefit to wildlife.

I'm sure I'll post what I see visiting the water feature...although, I've yet to post a couple of things...including the footprints of what I assume was a raccoon. Maybe when I'm done with all of this draining work, I'll have the energy and desire to post them.