Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

As I walked around the corner of the house, I heard rustling from the large patch of touch-me-not growing around the deck.  First one, then another bird flew out of the patch.  With camera in hand, I zoomed in to where one landed.  As so often happens, it wasn't until I uploaded the photos that I was able to identify what I saw.


I have to wonder what they were attracted to...it could easily have been the jewelweed (touch-me-not)--perhaps its seeds or the insects it attracts--or something else entirely.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good sighting! Jewelweed is such a neat plant. I always make sure to show people why they call it touch-me-not.

David said...

It is a great plant...and a fun one to share with others. :)

I still remember the first fall that Jeff and I were together; I told him to touch the seed pod--he jumped when it exploded. He was not expecting that at all.