Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Saturday, December 14, 2013

A Rough Idea

What I started with:


Over the years of walking the property, planning, and dreaming, things are starting to come together into a plan.  Five years ago, when we first moved in and the property was new to me, I had a much harder time envisioning what it should look like.  Before moving here, I'd have expected to create a lot more woodland than the plan I have now.  When, a month or so after moving in, I saw a bluebird (in December), it began to dawn on me that I would want to keep the large open area...that is where I plan to create a meadow of native grasses and wildflowers.  Fruiting shrubs will border the meadow in places--perhaps with a shrub or two scattered into the meadow, larger shrubs and small trees (like dogwood and serviceberry) will transition the meadow into a woodland.  The fruiting trees and shrubs will support the bluebirds (as well as other birds and critters), and the wildflowers, grasses, shrubs and trees, will support insects which are vital to feed the young of most birds.  I think the plan that has developed so far is likely pretty accurate to what I expect the property to become.

Today, I finally got around to creating a visual based on the original aerial shot I created when I started this blog:


No comments: