Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Saturday, February 17, 2018

Early Return!

Today, my second day participating in the Great Backyard Bird Count, I strolled from the bay window over looking the back yard, in the the kitchen to view the side yard.  In the distance, I could see movement as the sun reflected from some light colored feathers.  I grabbed my camera.

After zooming in, it didn't take long for my excitement to grow.  I quickly realized that I was seeing a bluebird--then I realized there was a pair of them checking out the nestbox closest to the house.  We are fortunate enough to have had a pair of bluebirds here every year since I put up the first nestbox our first spring here (10 years ago).  This is not the box they usually choose, and it is too early to know if this is the one that they will use.  I am just thrilled to see them.

The funny thing was, it took me a couple of minutes to realize that I had to check the time and document them for the Great Back Yard Bird Count--maybe because they don't come to the feeders, it just didn't occur to me that these too are birds! ;)

Each year, I wonder how devastated I would be if they did not return and raise their young here.  Although we are experiencing several unusually warm days (40s and 50s--near 60 yesterday), we had an extended period of frigid weather earlier this year; I was afraid they wouldn't make it through.  So, today was an extremely pleasant surprise.  It has really felt like spring to me lately, today, even more so.  That said, the snow that is predicted for tonight has started falling outside the window beside my computer screen.

Bluebirds bring happiness...


 




No comments: