Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Saturday, February 17, 2018

Squirrel Antics

This post is supposed to be about the Great Backyard Bird Count...but, instead, it is about squirrels. :)

This morning, while watching and tallying the birds that came to our yard, I witnessed activity up in the trees by the property line.  Squirrels.  Two of them.  Leaping from branch to branch. 

Here are some of the better photos that I was lucky enough to get from the second story window.

 



 





Oh...and then there was that one chipmunk. :)


It has really felt like spring for the past few days...temps in the 50s--even close to 60 one day.  Today, was more seasonable...with snow in the forecast tonight...but more warm weather starting tomorrow and into next week.  Hearing the birds and seeing these active mammals really has me longing for spring.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you David for sharing your wonderful nature experiences with us that lack this opportunity. I have always had the same dream, but live on a tiny 5000sq ft lot. I've squeezed in as much wildlife habitat and edibles as I could and have been rewarded with as much wildlife as one can find in suburbia.
Seeing your photos of the squirrels and darling chipmunk brought me so much joy this morning.

Queenie said...

Thank you David for sharing your wonderful nature experiences with us that lack this opportunity. I have always had the same dream, but live on a tiny 5000sq ft lot. I've squeezed in as much wildlife habitat and edibles as I could and have been rewarded with as much wildlife as one can find in suburbia.
Seeing your photos of the squirrels and darling chipmunk brought me so much joy this morning.

David said...

Queenie,

So sorry for the delay. I am no longer in the habit of regularly updating my blog...although, I am trying to get back to it more often.

Your comment was nearly lost amid all of the spam comments.

I am so glad that you are enjoying the blog. It is nice to share the same dream. I know it is small, but at least you are creating your own wildlife-friendly space. I tend to say that smaller spaces are often more intimate. Also, they are easier to fill up than larger expanses. Many things I plant here are lost in the expanse--at least until they grow large enought to make their presence known (I am still waiting on quite a lot of trees to get to that point.)

Thank you for the comment. Enjoy the wildlife that visits your little oasis. :)