Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Thursday, July 18, 2019

Rain, Rocks, and Mugwort

Last year, I finally dug my main pond--the larger pond that I often refer to as Phase II.  Although I have yet to disguise the liner, this year, I planned to start digging for the streambed and a wetland area. 

This was supposed to happen early spring or even late winter once the ground was thawed.  I always view that time of year as a clean slate.  However, with an over abundance of rain and being busy with work, things rapidly got out of control.  Just trying to find time to mow the grass and paths was difficult.  I was always playing catch up.  Needless to say, I had no time to dig--well...I did dig several holes and transplanted several trees from the starter bed to their forever homes--something else that really needed done before they got too big.  [Hopefully, I will post about that even this long after the fact--if not, my blog (my gardening journal--will be even more incomplete.] Anyway, the end result:  the mugwort that has been invading our property had field day.  :( 

Yesterday, I finally got around to weed-whacking and sickling the slope leading down to the pond.  I intend to create the look of a rocky cliff here. 

I hate to show the mess I am dealing with, but it will make the "after" pics that much more amazing. :)


Slowly, I am moving the rocks (I obtained last year ) to that spot so I can fit them together on the slope. 

In the process, I had fun playing fitting the puzzle pieces together.  I photographed some potential pairings.   :)


Shoeing the size with a shoe for comparison. 






Not having enough for what I envision, I may end up using a liner to create the illusion of more rock--covering it with scree or fine soil/sand and a veneer of smaller stones.

No comments: