Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Sunday, January 2, 2011

Not Picked Clean Yet



With the sun shining most of the day, I've been in and out all day. This morning, I walked the yard and surveyed the asters and goldenrod that had gone to seed. Some have been picked through more than others. I'm assuming the birds are eating their natural food sources as well as the "fast food" from the feeder (I only use black oil sunflower seeds...but I've been known to share a few walnuts, pistachios, or almonds that I may be snacking on),

This variety of aster did seem to be mostly picked over. A few seeds seem to have been left. I wonder if they taste better or are bigger or easier to eat. The birds seem to enjoy these more than another aster species I have...however the bumble bees and butterflies seemed to flock more to the other. Both provide nectar and seed sources...and beauty. :) I like the flower-like shape left behind when the tufts of seeds have been removed:





Leaving seed heads for wildlife also provides winter interest to the yard and landscape:







Someday, I'd love to have enough native trees, shrubs, wildflowers, and grasses established in our yard to provide food (seed, nut, fruit, etc.) throughout the winter without providing much (or any?) supplemental food.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

But think of the fun you'd miss without feeder birds to watch.

David said...

You're probably right, Rebecca. (...And thank you for commenting.)

I guess I was thinking I'd still see the birds coming to feed, especially if I planted some things close to the windows, but I'd probably still supplement what I have with some birdseed. I'd hate to go a winter with no birds to watch!