Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snow Day! =)

It is so nice to have a snow day once in a while. I finally slept in a bit, then, before even eating breakfast, I began taking picture of the birds gathered outside the window. Taking pictures through a window is probably not the best way to get a good shot, but I couldn't resist. Later, after shoveling out, I ended up opening the window to try to get some better shots, those are the ones included below.

After reading an article about how feeding birds causes them to congregate in an unnatural way which can spread diseases, I keep moving the feeder around the yard. At least that way the ground feeding birds are not constantly eating in the same spot, and I get a different background (and foreground) for my photos.

I don't like to take pictures of the actual feeder, but I have several perches nearby that help make the pictures look more natural. Also, in this case there is a huge tree for them to perch on as well. The feeder is moved easily because it is hung on a branch that I stuck into one of those old fashioned umbrella stands (for shading deck tables).

I still want a better quality camera, but for now these pictures are better than no pictures. :)



Female cardinal (this one *was* taken through the window, I think)


nuthatch



tufted titmouse and blue jay


blue jay


tufted titmouse

male cardinals



tufted titmouse


...and, I couldn't resist retouching the above photo by combining it with another I took. It is actually two views of the same bird:

2 comments:

~Sage~ said...

Well done!

David said...

Thank you, ~Sage~.

High praise coming from you. You are quite the photographer. :)