Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Sunday, February 20, 2011

Cleaning House

Actually, we did clean the house some today...and I'm cleaning the sunroom in hopes of getting an early start on the vegetable garden this year. However, this post is about cleaning out one of the bluebird boxes that, apparently, I forgot to do at the end of the season.

I found the old nest a couple of weeks ago when the temperatures were around minus 3 degrees Fahrenheit. I was a bit concerned about the bluebirds and know that they could all have huddled in one of the nestboxes to stay warm. When the temperatures rose again, I opened the boxes hoping not to find any that had frozen to death. That is when I spotted the old nest.

Today, I finally got out there with bleach mixed with warm water. I removed the old nest and disinfected the nestbox. After letting it air dry, I went back out to close it up. It is now ready for the new season. I'm hoping the blues return and maybe bring their offspring to nest in our yard this year as well. Perhaps I should get another box or two up.







No comments: