Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Adolescence



Today after all of that work, I went out to walk the property (as I so often do). There was quite a lot of activity as I saw birds flying around. There were at least four up on the wire--I think I spotted five at one time. I thought they were bluebirds and possibly the fledglings...the photos confirmed it. :)

I'm thrilled to know that the young bluebirds are still around and growing up...though they still seem to need Mom and Dad around. I get the impression that their parents are mentoring them. :)

Another thing made me feel really good. They seemed very accepting of me being in the yard. One perched on the white pine I put in 3 years ago and stayed there as I took several pictures. I'd like to believe that they know I help make their nesting successful--aside from creating habitat for them, I make sure there is a clean, empty nest box so they can have more than one brood each year.


Dad is looking a little bedraggled...having adolescents will do that to you, I guess. :)


4 comments:

Julie Stone said...

What a great set of photos! Congratulations on getting to see them and getting photos. It always feels like such a treat when I get to see my bluebird family pass through, I've never gotten photos that good of them though. Dad does look pretty tired!

David said...

Julie,

It is always so nice to see your comments. I started this blog more to document my progress...I'm not sure I even knew enough about blogs to realize I'd get comments/followers. :)

I'm glad you have a bluebird family too, even if they just pass through. They really do bring me joy. I guess that is where the phrase "bluebird of happiness" comes from.

Anyway, thank you for the compliment. I'm pretty happy with compositions, I just wish the clarity were better. I guess the important thing is that I captured proof that the fledglings survived! :)

Jodi said...

Ha! I love the shots of the begging (or mentoring, in a more generous interpretation) and subsequent bedraggled feeling. You did a good job catching the birds' emotions. Thanks for sharing them with us! I'm enjoying following your yard's progress.

David said...

Jodi,

Thank you for the comment--ammusing comment at that :)...and the compliment. It is nice to know that I'm sharing it and not just documenting it.

*Your* blog looks fantastic! It is nice to find like-minded people.