Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Paydirt

I feel like I hit pay dirt--well mulch anyway. The road crew was out cutting overhanging branches along the road the other day. I stopped and asked them to leave some branches for me...I plan to add to my brush piles...or start a new one. I also am saving some more attractive branches to use as perches for the birds come bird feeding time.

Today they were working on the other side of the road, so I asked if they could dump the chipped branches in the yard. There are some wood chips, but also a lot of leaves and thin branches. I'm thrilled to have this and have already made a big dent in the pile.

I'm using this to smother some invasives and to build up a rich woodsy soil as the thick layers I've put down decay.





I still feel like I made quite a dent in the pile, but comparing the two, it doesn't look like I did that much. I felt like a kid again hauling and laying mulch (I did a lot of that at my parents house...using the wood chips for paths and shredded bark around the landscaping. Eventually there was a thick layer of deep rich soil.) So, it brought back memories...and I felt like a kid again...until I came in and started feeling pretty sore! Oh well, it still feels GOOD!

No comments: