Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Saturday, March 25, 2017

Planning the Front Yard

Since moving in, I seem to have focused more of my energies and thoughts to the far reaches of the property and less near the house--I think mostly because we still need work done on the outside (soffit & fascia, gutters, paint job, and, hopefully, a covered porch one of these days).

Still, after neglecting it for far too long, I am longing to create more habitat and beauty out front.  I have added things through the years, but few and far between.  Over the years, my vision for the property has become clearer.  Lately, I am thinking about adding some small trees in front of the house--something that, originally, I was trying to avoid.  Lately, I find that I want something beautiful to look at when looking out the front windows.

Today, I began labeling what I already have added...and what I may want to add.  I will post this to Wildlife Gardeners as well...and hopefully get some suggestions for trees (small trees or large shrubs) that I wouldn't have come up with on my own.


This is an aerial shot from last year--mid-to-late summer, I would guess.

2 comments:

Ellen Honeycutt said...

Well, of course, the problem with adding trees is that they create shade eventually. Trees only flower once a year so if you're looking for floral resources, then perennials should be your focus. On the flip side, trees can be powerful supports as host plants so I would consider the top 12-20 on Doug Tallamy's list. Some of them do double duty - host plants for lepidoptera while also providing fruit for birds or showy flowers. Hawthorn is #12 and I like it for that reason. http://www.bringingnaturehome.net/what-to-plant.html

David said...

I will take another look at his list...

Don't forget, I have plenty of room for trees elsewhere on the property. :)

I have quite a variety that I added in addition to those natives that are already naturally occurring on our property.

I am hoping to keep things fairly open except for the sections that I am creating or enhancing as woodland, the hedgerow, and a shrubby border to the woods. So, whatever I decide to put there, will hopefully be something that doesn't cast dense shade--or is short enough to not really affect the look that I am going for.

I want it open for the bluebirds, and I want to support the variety of sun-loving natives and the insects and other critters that they support.