Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Saturday, August 17, 2019

Monarch Firsts (for Me)

Our property has hosted monarchs before.  I recall my first two larvae after putting in butterflyweed (Asclepias tuberosa) probably ten years ago.  After a few years of seeing them, they seemingly disappeared from our yard for about three years (while their populations had really plummeted).  After a bit of a rebound, I have seen them in the yard again.

However, this is the first year that I not only got some photos of them in flight, I also witnessed a female laying an egg--twice (on two separate days).  :)  I found it very satisfying.




In addition, the adults used to seem like rare visitors, but this year, over the past two or three weeks, I seem to see one in our yard each day I go out!  Cupplant has proven itself a great favorite with not only the monarchs, but other butterflies and smaller pollinators. 

The milkweed that I winter sowed (and, later, posted about planting out in the meadow) are pictured here, in pots with the monarch making good use of them.



No comments: