Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Thursday, August 8, 2019

Tiny Reclaimed Area

My biggest obstacle toward converting our field to a native meadow has been preparing the area.  I have tried smothering huge sections with cardboard and leaves, and, later, sowing eith a custom meadow mix...with mixed results.  Limited results.  I think I need to smother longer.

Last year, I smothered a small section with an old air mattress we used to use for camping--it had a leak.  Around that I used newspaper and leaves.  It is a small section, but a perfect place to plant some of the plugs I grew.


Knowing that rain was in the forecast, yesterday, I got a lot in the ground.  Mostly redtop grass (I think) and milkweed, but I also added a few others, including Penstemon digitalis.   Over the years, I have realized I need more grasses.  I planted the little I had.










It is small, but it is a start...reclaiming the property a little at a time.   Not very attractive...yet. 

1 comment:

Martha said...

I think it looks great!