Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Saturday, August 31, 2019

Thrilled!

I have had bluebirds nesting here since our first spring here.  After spotting them a month or so after moving in at the end of October, I put up nest boxes, and have had them here ever since.

In all of that time, I have never seen or photographed the babies fledgling from the nest.  Only once did I capture a shot of the father bluebird feeding three very young fledglings atop a utility pole!  Although, on occasion a baby or two has died over the tears...and, last year, the whole young brood was killed, I always assume, if they make it to the age when they are ready to become fledglings, they survived.  The nest will be empty with no signs of foul play...but I almost never have solid proof--seeing them fledge...or seeing them in the yard.

Today, I spotted some activity outside the bay window at the shrub dogwood there.  Their berries have been ripening for a week or so.  I thought it likely was the catbird, that I have heard in the yard, but, when, I grabbed the camera and zoomed in, I realized it was a bluebird--a juvenile bluebird at that!  :)



It is nice to know that he or she is likely one raised right here on our property.  :)

No comments: