Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Thursday, December 17, 2009

Better Late Than Never

Although it is a month or two after I intended to do it, I finally cut some fence and made some circular enclosures to put around the hemlock seedlings I put in this spring--and the 4 foot tall one from last year. They are 2-3 year old seedlings and the deer already 'trimmed' two of them for me--and stripped two others.

I also put some up to protect the Pinxterbloom azalea (Rhododendron periclymenoides synonymous with R. nudiflorum) and the witch hazel (Hamamelis virginiana) that I planted nearer the house. I think they are a bit safer, but I've seen the results of deer eating things close to the house before, so I feel safer having them protected until they are bigger and can handle more munching.

No comments: