Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Monday, March 8, 2010

Barn Swallow Shelves

I have always loved barn swallows and after buying a house with a barn/garage, I decided I might have a chance at attracting them to nest here.  After reading up on how to attract them, I feel more confident in my attempt.  Although one suggestion is to leave a window or two open so that they can enter the barn to nest, I prefer to keep them on the outside.  The websites state that they will nest under eaves, porches, bridges and the like, so I'm hoping they will take a liking to my offering.  One site suggested that they do not like to nest on a continuous shelf, so I changed my original plan.  Actually, I think I like the individual shelves better.  At a distance they are barely noticeable and do not detract from the look of the barn.

After getting home from work today, I decided to walk the yard.  As often happens, this will spark a project.  Yesterday, after researching, I found some loose boards of old barn wood.  So, today, I thought there is no time like the present.  I got three shelves up before the light started failing me.  I will put more up soon.

I found this website very informative: http://www.americanartifacts.com/smma/per/b4.htm


No comments: