Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Saturday, March 13, 2010

Unwanted Visitor

I was walking the property this morning, when I came around the corner of the garage/barn and saw a bird exploring one of my nestboxes.  I was excited, but it didn't last long.  As my eyes followed the bird as it flew away from me, I finally focused on it as it stopped on a nearby branch.  It was a house sparrow.  ~sigh~  I kept walking closer to it, chasing it away.

House sparrows were brought here from Europe.  They are notorious for their harmful affect on the native bluebird population as well as other native cavity-nesting birds.  See http://www.sialis.org/ for more information.

Anyway, I'm really hoping not to have to deal with house sparrows trying to make a home in my yard.  So far, I've not had a problem with them.  Hopefully they will move on.  That box they were exploring is sited in the wrong place.  I will remove it and, hopefully, relocate it to a more appropriate site.

No comments: