Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Saturday, March 6, 2010

Flooded Seeds Motivate Me

Today was in the mid-forties and I walked the yard this morning.  The snow was firm and frozen under my feet which surprised me.  I enjoyed looking around the yard.  One thing that caught my eye was the seeds that I had finally planted were more than saturated they were sitting in about an inch of water.  (There is a pane of glass missing from the roof of the greenhouse --another project, so all the snow we had fell inside and on my planter.  Apparently there were no drainage holes.  So, I got the drill out and put some in.  I hope the seeds will still germinate...but, I've a feeling they will all be washed to one side.



When I decided to get the drill out I realized I'd better work on another project I have:  a rustic birdhouse that I bought for another bluebird box.  The hole opening was too small and originally I thought I could just by a 1 1/2 inch flat drill bit, but because the hole was already there, there was no way for me to expand the hole as planned.  So, I decided to just use a regular drill bit and scrape it along the sides of the opening.  It is not a perfect circle, but it is now the size it has to be to allow bluebirds in but keep the European starlings out.  I am also removing the nail that was placed there as a perch.  Bluebirds do not need the perch to use the box, and having no perch helps keeps other birds and predators from getting in the box.

I had the birdhouse hanging inside the house until I got around to drilling the hole bigger.  It can finally be set up outside--I'd better get to it soon, I've already seen the male bluebird checking out my other boxes.  The ground is still frozen, so I'm not sure how I'll get a post in the ground.



No comments: