Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Empty Nest

No picture this time, but I thought I'd better not put off writing this much longer. Friday, May 14th I got a feeling that the bluebird pair were holding off on feeding to encourage their young to fledge. I set up the video camera on a tripod and hope to have caught them leaving on tape. (I've yet to view the tape.) They may have already left before I set up the camcorder.

Later in the day, I was walking the yard and when I got near the bushier areas, the two parents seemed to make a bit more noise. I'm assuming their fledglings were hiding nearby. Hopefully, I'll find some good footage on the tape and then upload it. I know I have to edit a video from a day or two earlier of the parents going back and forth feeding them.

Saturday, I peeked inside through the entrance hole. Seeing nothing, I opened the front a crack and looked in. They were gone. I'll have to remove the old nest, wipe the box down with bleach and water. I'll check sialis.org to find out exactly what to do.

No comments: