Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Saturday, May 1, 2010

What I Did Today

As so often happens, on the spur of the moment, I decided to start one of the projects that has been on my mind for a year or more. I tend to bounce from project to project. Today, after mowing about half of the yard, I decided to grab the pry bar and start moving some of the huge rocks (boulders?) on the hillside where I plan to make a recirculating streambed with waterfalls.

For a week or two I've been itching to move them. Today I decided to tackle it. After my initial attempts, I realized I'd better not do it alone. My partner always says that I should ask when I need help, so today I did. I know he must not have wanted to drop what he was doing to come out in the late afternoon heat (it was in the 80s today), but he did and I couldn't have done it without his help. Thanks, Jeff.

With the first two rocks, we only got them out of the ground and flipped over. They are ready to be moved into place the next time I get the urge. The last rock ended up being a lot bigger than it appeared; a huge part of it was under the ground. If it were not so difficult to move, I may have used it further up the hill, but I just shifted it into a better, and hopefully more natural looking position. I will plant some natives around it and the dogwood that I added two years ago.




The boulder in the foreground will not be moved--unless I end up bringing in machinery to do it!



These two rocks have been moved...the small flat rocks were placed in the spot where the one was removed because there was an ant colony underneath it. I hate to disturb places that are being utilized already on the property. After removing the last rock, I found what I believe was an animal hole, so I put another rock in its place instead of leaving the burrow exposed.









No comments: