Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Visiting Butterfly

I had little energy after work today, but I went out and walked my paths with camera in hand. I happened to see a butterfly flutter by, and, luckily, it stayed put long enough for the camera to focus on it-- I can't wait until I get a camera that allows me to do manual focus!

I think I've identified it correctly as a small heath butterfly (Coenonympha tullia-inornata).

It is a nice start to see some butterflies in the yard, but I'm hoping that, as I add more nectar and host plants, I'll see a LOT more. That is one of my goals, attracting more birds and butterflies...as well as other wildlife.

Since I was already outside, I ended up watering my new dogwoods, seedlings, and a few wildflowers I put in recently...and a couple that are still in pots. I'm hoping to have more energy again SOON!



small heath butterfly (Coenonympha tullia-inornata)

No comments: