Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Monday, July 19, 2010

Flitting and Swooping

The other day I went back outside after working on the back patio. As I so often do, I study what I got done that day, plan for other projects, and just enjoy the peaceful country setting. I was very pleased to see about five swallows swooping around in the early evening sky. They darted around catching insects on the wing. As fast as they were moving, I couldn't tell if they were the family of tree swallows or barn swallows from the nearby farm. Either would make me happy.

Hoping to catch them on tape, I ran inside for the video camera. Unfortunately the lens fogged up due to bringing it out of an air conditioned house into the heat and humid outside. They left before the condensation cleared up.


In short time later I went back out to sit on the back stoop. Again, I saw a lot of flitting around and swooping. I grabbed the camcorder again. Just in time to see the swallow fly off...but still there was a lot of activity. Quickly, I realized that about half a dozen dragonflies were darting this way and that so fast that I couldn't even see what color they were. It was amazing to watch, and luckily, I got this on tape. Editing together the few I captured on tape, I know have a video clip that gives an idea of what I witnessed.

No comments: