Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Special Moments

For the past two days, I've been moving a lot of rocks, shoveling sand, and digging up plants and planting them elsewhere. These rocks are not for the streambed and pond that I'm planning, instead they are bluestone slabs that I'm moving from the front to extend the stone path by the back door into a stone patio. This is an old house that needs a LOT of work--but those stories and pics are for another blog--LOL...who knows, maybe I'll make one about the renovations, but don't hold your breath.

Anyway, after a working out back for hours on end--and loving it--I finally forced myself to go inside as it was beginning to get dark. As I often do, I went back out to look at what I'd accomplished. I sat down on the back stoop and, that movement caught my eye. I'm not sure why but my first thought was a snake. As my eyes zoned in on the movement, I saw a toad scrambling up the 45 degree slope of a rock leaned up against the sand pile. It was such a cool thing to witness as he finally made it to the top. That is when he caught sight of me and froze. I ran in to get the camera and he was still there frozen in place. I guess he missed his chance to hide. So, I was able to get a few shots, and thanks to adjusting the brightness and contrast, I have some half decent shots.

I enjoy seeing glimpses of the lives of animals in our yard. That is part of the joy of native gardening







No comments: