Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Swallows Return

The first time I noticed the swallows swooping at insects in the backyard, I missed my chance to film them. However, I did get a chance to film the dragonflies that came that same night.


The other day, my partner told me that the dragonflies had returned. Sure enough they had, but with them came the swallows, too. This time I was able to get it on tape. They move so quickly, the filming was pretty hit or miss. At times, I'd look up with the naked eye and try to determine if they were barn swallows or tree swallows. The barn swallows have a forked tail. At one point I thought I caught a brief glimpse of a forked tail as one darted high above me. Later, I thought I saw the tail of the tree swallow. I was hoping to get at least one clear freeze-frame on the video...After going through the tape and editing it together to try to recreate what I was seeing, I did freeze one blurred image that did seem to have the forked tail. I'd love to attract barn swallows to actually nest in our yard on the shelves I provided. I think they are attractive, cool birds. Time will tell, but at least they seem to be visiting the yard...although I can't get a good look at their beautiful colors of blue, buff, and rust.

No comments: