Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Sunday, August 15, 2010

More Milkweed

Yesterday, I planted three pots of milkweed (Asclepias syriaca) into the meadow. These plants are the ones I rescued from a friend's vegetable garden. They were destined for the compost heap. (Thanks Beth and Lori.) After digging them up, I cut them back and potted them up keeping them watered. To these pots, I added some of the seedling wildflowers that I planted late last winter.

The milkweeds had long since recovered and were sending up new shoots. After finally getting some rain, I decided I could plant them in the meadow. I watered them in yesterday, and I'm happy to see it rained overnight and is overcast today--great for the newly planted milkweeds.

One of the milkweeds was planted near the old fence with winter in mind; the dried seedpods, especially covered with snow, should make an excellent picture with the lichens-covered fence. The other two are planted at the base of the hillside along the front road. There are power lines above so, I've decided to create more of a meadow there with some shorter shrubs and trees that will grow no higher than 12-15ft. so as not to interfere with the power lines.



Asclepias syriaca

No comments: