Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Monday, August 9, 2010

Polytrichum, I Think

Yesterday while visiting with friends, I mentioned that I liked the mat-forming moss by their back steps. My friend told me that he has repeated tried killing it but it kept coming back. He offered it to me to take home, and since he plans to kill it or put a deck over it, I agreed to take it.

Before posting this I had to find out what it was called. I believe it is a haircap moss (Polytrichum sp.). I'd love to see huge mats of it incorporated into the landscape--a natural ground cover and no need to mulch.

I put it in the ground but it will have to fill in and spread out more before it looks as good as it did at their cabin.

Thanks again, Dana.

No comments: