Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Wait is Over

For the past couple of weeks, I've checked the now empty and cleaned nest box hoping to see the bluebirds building a second nest.  Two days ago, I noticed that they had begun a new nest.



It took them quite a while to start--but I guess they were busy with the "teenagers" (read fledglings).  Yesterday it rained all day long...not sure they felt much like building, but today I found a completed nest (but then again, they are earlier risers than I so maybe they completed it this morning).

I'm looking forward to witness them raising another brood.  I'm already thinking about adding yet another nest box (I added one earlier this spring after seeing four tree swallows and only one available box).  I know bluebirds need quite a distance between nest sites, but I think I have enough room to encourage another pair...assuming their numbers are increasing.  They should be. :)

No comments: