Sunday, June 17, 2012
Just Add Water
After hauling two more large rocks to the site of my pond and streambed project, I finally felt ready to resume building a water feature...at least the first phase in what I envision for our hillside.
The hole I dug last year was filled up with weeds...and a few natives that I moved to another project I'm working on--the backyard slope. After moving the rocks I'd left in place since last year so that I could mow and see what I was working with, I dug a little more, raked away stones, and put down the liner ((with old carpet underneath). I filled it with water to get a feel of what I was working with. Being that it is near the top of a hill and on a slope, I have my work cut out for me. Honestly, I was a little discouraged as I tried to imagine how I could eventually make this look natural. Now, two days later, I feel quite a bit more sure that it will turn out okay.
What surprised me the most was, the next morning (less than 24 hours after filling the liner), I found a water strider bug (Limnogonus fossarum)! The following morning, I spotted two other insects under the water; I've seen them before, but don't know what they are--yet. :)
"Just add water"...it really is as simple as that...not that hauling all of the rocks, and now trying to piece them together to look natural is exactly simple. :)