Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Sunday, February 17, 2013

Doe Update

A few hours later, I went out into the yard again with some seed to scatter away from the house.  When I got to where the deer was earlier, she was not there, so I entered (what I'm calling) "the woods" to put some seed where I normally do.  Right before I entered the path I realized that the doe was right in front of me, spooked, and trying to run up the steep slope.  That is when I realized she was injured.  One of her front legs was bloody and possibly mangled--it happened pretty fast.  I feel so badly not only that she is hurt, but that I went back and made her flee on a bad leg.

I went back to the house a different way so she didn't feel like I was pursuing her.  Back at the house, I grabbed two apples and some popcorn seed.  I went back to where I've seen here in the woods, and left a treat for her--assuming she returns.


If I find that she has returned, I'll try to give her more treats to help her get through the winter and heal. However, I don't want to go back and spook her again.  I'll figure it out.

No comments: