Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Thursday, February 21, 2013

Now They Show Up!

I think my numbers were down this year as compared to the last two that I did the Great Backyard Bird Count.  However, this morning, with a lot less light than I like for taking photographs, I saw twenty (count 'em), twenty mourning doves!  Now why weren't they around when I did the bird count?



I also saw three goldfinches later in the day after having only counted one during the time I was observing.   Last year, I had a whole branch filled with them (a rare sight for me anyway, but at least it happened during the count that year)!

Checking back, I realize that I saw the bluebird pair during the count last year.  I've yet to spot them checking out the bird boxes yet this year...but I hope to see them any day now.  I can wait, as long as they show up again and raise more broods here.  Spring can't be too far away.

No comments: